Family Members Coping Suggestions
These are some of the coping suggestions that family members’ have shared during our workshops.
- Set boundaries.
- When your ill family member dumps on you, don’t take it personally, don’t take their symptoms personally.
- Learn to get involved in your own life for at least short periods of time so you don’t get over-involved in your ill family member’s life.
- You do not always have to be available or “on-call”.
- Educate yourself about mental illness, legal and financial entitlements, community supports and treatment options.
- Lower your expectations of your ill family member and of yourself as a caregiver.
During our workshops we will share more of them
and encourage you to share yours.