By Rex Dickens of NAMI (revised by Michelle C. Sherman, PhD. and adapted by the Family Outreach and Response Program)
What Family Members Can Do:
- Talk about your feelings and encourage other family members to do the same.
- Talk to others who are also dealing with mental illness in the family (e.g., family Outreach and Response Program).
- Learn about mental health issues and mental health recovery.
- Practise hope-inspiring strategies. Hold the hope.
What Family Members Cannot Do:
- Can’t make the mental health issues go away.
- Can’t meet the relative’s needs all of the time.
- Can’t lessen the impact of the issues by not talking about it.